Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.
A 24-year-old previously healthy farm worker was out shooting rabbits in the field when he accidentally dropped his gun. The gun fired, shooting him in the left foot. He presented to the hospital hours later and was found to have entry and exit gunshot wounds to the foot. Multiple fractures of the talus, calcaneum and distal fibula were confirmed on x-ray and subsequent CT. He was admitted to the theatre for a washout.
On entering the recovery room, the patient initially coughed appropriately when extubation was attempted. However, he then lapsed into an unrousable state and was noted to be decorticate to painful stimuli. …
Contributors GM has reviewed this manuscript.
Patient consent Obtainted.
Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed. This paper was reviewed by Charles Hillier, Dorset, UK.
Read the full text or download the PDF:
Other content recommended for you
- Diverse manifestations of a sickle cell crisis
- Prolonged coma due to cerebral fat embolism: report of two cases
- Cerebral fat embolism syndrome (FES): similar cases with different outcomes
- Prognostic significance of patent foramen ovale in anticoagulated patients with atrial fibrillation
- Spinal cord infarction as a rare complication of fat embolism syndrome following bilateral intramedullary nailing of femur fractures
- Coma secondary to cerebral fat embolism syndrome due to sickle cell disease fully recovering following red cell exchange transfusion
- Perioperative support of a patient with fat embolism syndrome with extracorporeal membraneoxygenation
- Fat attacks!: a case of fat embolisation syndrome postliposuction
- Advances in the management of cardioembolic stroke associated with patent foramen ovale
- When to close a patent foramen ovale