Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.
A 74-year-old woman gave a 6-month history of predominately right-sided parietal headaches, often worse on waking. Her history included left phthisis bulbi (atrophy and calcification of the eye), resulting from multiple attempted surgical repairs for retinal detachment 20 years previously. She wore a coloured contact lens over her left eye for cosmetic purposes. Neurological examination was normal.
An unenhanced CT brain scan of her head demonstrated a high-attenuation abnormality in the left vitreous cavity with posterior extension along the optic nerve. There were further foci of high attenuation in the suprasellar region and in the frontal horn of the right lateral ventricle (figures 1 …
Contributors JC—concept and drafting article. ID—image selection and drafting article. DW—review of article and legends. SJ—review of article.
Competing interests None.
Patient consent Obtained.
Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed. This paper was reviewed by Mark Manford, Cambridge, UK.
Read the full text or download the PDF:
Other content recommended for you
- Is silicone oil optic neuropathy caused by high intraocular pressure alone? A semi-biological model
- Silicone oil pupil block glaucoma in a pseudophakic eye
- Retinal redetachment after removal of intraocular silicone oil tamponade
- Measurement of axial length of eyes with incomplete filling of silicone oil in the vitreous cavity using x ray computed tomography
- Cerebrospinal fluid segregation optic neuropathy: an experimental model and a hypothesis
- Use of hydroxypropylmethylcellulose 2% for removing adherent silicone oil from silicone intraocular lenses
- Cerebrospinal fluid exchange in the optic nerve in normal-tension glaucoma
- An experimental study on the effect of encircling band procedure on silicone oil emulsification
- A cleaning solution for silicone intraocular lenses: “sticky silicone oil”
- Retinal nerve fibre layer thickness measurements after successful retinal detachment repair with silicone oil endotamponade