Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.
A 54-year-old man had a 12 month history of weakness of both lower limbs with urge urinary incontinence, 6 month history of visual loss and hearing impairment and a 1 month history of cognitive dysfunction. He had no constitutional symptoms. On examination, his visual acuity was reduced to perception of light only in both eyes; funduscopy identified branch retinal artery occlusion (figure 1). He had spastic weakness and hyperreflexia in the lower limbs. Pure-tone audiometry suggested severe sensorineural hearing loss. MR scan of the brain showed characteristic features of Susac’s syndrome (figure 2). Following high-dose methylprednisolone pulses, intravenous immunoglobulin and rituximab, he …
Contributors AE conceived the report and was involved in diagnosis and management of the case and in writing the manuscript. AK was involved in diagnosis and in writing the manuscript.
Funding The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests None declared.
Patient consent for publication Not required.
Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally reviewed by Alasdair Coles, Cambridge, UK.
Read the full text or download the PDF:
Other content recommended for you
- Susac’s syndrome: an update
- Diagnostic criteria for Susac syndrome
- The corpus callosum in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis and other CNS demyelinating and inflammatory diseases
- Looking out for the blind spot
- Delirium as presentation of late-onset and relapsing Susac syndrome
- Confusion, dissociation and bizarre behaviour as the onset of an early Susac syndrome
- Immune-mediated conditions affecting the brain, eye and ear (BEE syndromes)
- Susac's syndrome: an immune mediated endotheliopathy laden with challenges and controversies
- Susac's syndrome
- An MRI review of acquired corpus callosum lesions